Over the last couple of months I've developed a bit of a reputation around the office for wearing cute dresses. Okay, so it may only be a reputation with Gina from Accounting, but she does comment on weather or not I'm wearing a dress every morning. I have to admit that I like dresses (I refused to wear pants until I was around 10), but I tend to have a hard time finding things that fit well, particularly in the sun dress category.
Long story short: I've got big boobs and a healthy desire for them not to be on display to all and sundry. If that's a problem with ready made clothes, then it is just as much a problem with commercial patterns which are made with a B-cup in mind. I am in no way a B-cup as evidenced by the Halloween costume of Donna's Fire's of Pompeii
dress I tried to make - way more risque than what you remember from the episode I guarantee you. So, I'm trying to teach myself pattern alteration.
Today I started trying to make this dress
(the one in yellow) in a spring green color. I've cut out the pattern pieces and am in the processes of cutting them all to shreds, pulling this way and that, attempting to add darts in the correct places. I am of course using some tutorials for the process, not just randomly placing darts and hoping they come out correctly. I'm starting to worry that I may have over compensated in the base size and that the whole garment will be too small. I do plan to make a muslin - by bastardizing the fore mentioned Fires of Pompeii dress - so hopefully I'll be able to fix it if I did cut out the pattern too small. Not that I know how to do that.